Friday, November 5, 2010

Down With Stupid Manufactures

Ok, this might be a little rant but somebody’s got to say it.  DSC Security has got to be one of the most egocentric and ignorant manufacturing companies I have ever run across.  Do they not realize that we are in a recession and they should be trying to promote the sales of their products instead of pissing people off?


DSC has always been a little difficult to program, that could be over looked because it is usually a little easier to operate for the customer.  Years ago they change their wireless frequency so that is a little annoying, but it can be understood (cross talk is a bad thing to have on a security system). What they have done now is really the last straw for me though.  Maybe I'm just un-informed, and if so please inform me.

Security products have been around for years and often times there is a need to upgrade a version of a control panel to offer better service and more features.  This is understandable right, and it is usually well accepted because these panels usually work much the same as the old ones and will almost always be backwards compatible with peripheral devices unless it is just physically impossible to do so.

Well, DSC has discontinued their PC832 series of control panels and replaced them with the newer PC1832.  There's not that much difference between the two, I think maybe some added user interface capabilities.  No big deal right?  Wrong!
I found this out today while replacing a PC832 control panel that had stopped working properly for a very kind hearted customer.  I took the steps to record the programming of the old panel, rewired the new board to the same specs as before then proceeded to program the new panel.  Everything worked perfectly.  Until I couldn't clear a trouble.  Anyway I could go on, but to make a long story short.  After 3 hours of checking and double checking programming and manuals and system compatibilities and still not being able to clear the trouble I called tech support.  After a rather lengthy hold time I spoke to Habbib on the other side of the world and got an answer...

Habbib: "You are using old expanders.  They won’t work with this panel"

Me: "But they are working, all the zones are reporting properly"

Habbib: "Yes, but the trouble will not clear."

Me: "Why?"

Habbib: "because they won’t work with this panel."

STUPID!

So now when a customer asks "would there be a benefit to upgrading my system?" I will say "Absolutely!!"  It aggravates the heck out of me.  Don't screw my customers just because you want to sell another piece of equipment!  I guess that's to be expected from a company owned by Tyco.  Just remember, stupid flows down hill.

Ok, I'm done ranting.

1 comment:

  1. I so understood that. *gives convincing look...scratches head*

    ReplyDelete