Friday, November 19, 2010

Who Needs Cable Anyway?

Cable is expensive right, and the service provided with the programming really, in the nicest way possible, sucks.  For this reason, I’ve chopped my cable cord (to my TV at least).  After paying nearly $100 every month for almost a year I realized something.  I was only enjoying one channel.  Maybe if I had a little more disposable income I could afford a grand every year just to watch the discovery channel and occasionally the history channel, but I don’t.


This is what I do instead.  I’ve got a HDTV with an ATSC Tuner (everyone has to have one now that all Television signals have gone digital) and connected to that tuner I have a coat hanger.  Yes I said a coat hanger.  It just so happens that I am able to pick up all local channels with a make shift antenna (no processing or amplification required).  Anyway, I am able to pick up all of the stations in full HD and actually a better quality than I was getting with the cable box.  I have also connected my PC to my TV and in that have unlocked a plethora of additional programming.  One site I enjoy getting programming from is hulu.com.  Sure you have to wait a day after a program has aired to watch it, but be honest, who watches programming when it airs anymore (other than maybe sports).  You can watch most popular programming as well as a number of classics and older shows in a 480p streaming format.  It’s not as crisp and clear as a full HD signal, but it’s also free and available whenever.
The other thing that I do is subscribe to Netflix.com.  It’s a mail order DVD & Blu-Ray rental company, but also has a streaming video feature.  There are a ton of TV series that are available as well movies, and most can be viewed in full HD.  So I can watch all my Mythbusters and Shark Week and Even Top Gear shows whenever I want.  The only down side is that I have to wait until they become available.  But let’s be honest, if your life is going to be greatly affected by not being able to watch a TV show the moment it airs then there’s a bigger problem in your life.
I’m not saying that cable is a bad option for everyone.  And to be honest, streaming video and online rentals is probably not a great solution for everyone either.  The point I am trying to make is that you have options.  You should evaluate what your needs are and if you are getting a valuable solution.  If not, there is probably something better out there for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment